Greater Pittsburgh Literacy Council
Is there a need for GED classes, adult basic education, and family literacy programs in the Pittsburgh area? YES! Every day five to ten new students call our offices to ask about enrolling in our programs. They urgently want to improve their lives through the power of education. Please help us to meet this heavy demand for services. Your involvement will open up a life.
News & Events
- HAPPY 30th Anniversary, GPLC! Celebrating 30 years of transforming lives. In honor of this special anniversary, please consider making a donation or becoming a volunteer today. Thank you. read more
- Check out the Our Issues Pittsburgh video in the Newsroom! read more
- 2013 GED graduates give "SHOUT OUTS" to GPLC's GED program. CONGRATULATIONS GRADUATES! read more
- SEVENTH ANNUAL TRIVIA BOWL! SUNDAY, APRIL 6, 2014 - REGISTER YOUR TEAM NOW!!! read more
- Visit GPLC on Facebook. Keep up with news & activities! read more
- Did you know that you can donate your old car to GPLC!? read more
- NEW volunteer training workshops have been added to the site. read more
- Did you know 89¢ of each dollar donated to GPLC goes to teach students? read more
- Sign up here if you would like to be included on our email list! Get GPLC News delivered directly to you. read more
- INTERESTED PARTIES: PLEASE VISIT OUR VOLUNTEER TRAINING PAGE. MANY NEW BASIC AND ESL WORKSHOPS RECENTLY ADDED! read more
- TribLIVE article January 1, 2014: New GED exam brings about a year-end flood of test takers. Great story and pictures! read more
- GPLC is now a GED Testing Center. You must register in advance. Please call 412-393-7600 for more information. read more
Opportunities for Adult Education and GED Preparation
At Greater Pittsburgh Literacy Council, we specialize in basic literacy programs for adults, to help individuals earn a GED, increase their employment options, or even simply read to their children. While the goals of our students vary, we offer each the same personalized attention they need to help them develop foundational skills in reading, writing, and math. We help several thousand individuals and families across Allegheny County each year through our adult education programs and GED test prep classes.
For the convenience of students, GPLC now offers GED testing from our own facilities. Conversational English classes are available for ESL learners who want to improve how they interact with others in everyday life. Health Literacy classes are also available, enabling students to understand medical forms, prescription instructions, general nutrition, and health risks.
Volunteer with GPLC
If you would like to get involved with GPLC, we always welcome new volunteers to support our organization. Most volunteers become tutors, although there are non-teaching volunteer opportunities as well, such as fundraising support. To best serve student needs, we ask that tutors prepare for four hours of service time per week, but there are alternative options available for those with scheduling limitations. As a tutor you will have the full support of the GPLC staff for teaching techniques, preparing lesson plans, acquiring teaching materials, and with any other challenges you encounter.
Fundamental Job Training
Certain skills are needed to succeed in most jobs today, including reading, writing, basic math, and computer proficiency. These skills are highly transferrable and allow job seekers greater flexibility when looking for work. GPLC hosts programs that not only equip adult students with basic communication skills but also have elements specifically designed to prepare participants for the job market with a particular emphasis on computer skills and software. With these skills, students will be prepared to start a new and better career.